E-mail or Electronic mail is a paperless method of sending messages, notes, or letters from one person to another or even many people at the same time via the internet. E-mail is very fast compared to the normal post. E-mail messages usually take only a few seconds to arrive at their destination. One can send messages anytime of the day or night and it will get delivered immediately. One need not to wait for the post office to open and free from worry about holidays. It works 24 hours a day and seven days a week. What is more, a copy of the message sent will be available whenever one wants to look at it, even in the middle of the night. The individual has the privilege of sending something extra such as a file, graphics, images, etc., along with e-mail. The biggest advantage of using e-mail is that it is cheap, especially when sending messages to other states or countries, and at the same time, it can be delivered to a number of people around the world.
Although e-mail is faster and cheaper, it has many of the components of regular mail. It allows composing notes, getting the address of the recipient, and sending it. Once the mail is received and read, it can be forwarded, replied. One can even store it for later use, or delete. In a-mail, even the sender can request for delivery receipt and read receipt from the recipient.
Features of E-mail:
- a) One-to-one or one-to-many communications
- b) Instant communications
- c) Physical presence of recipient is not required
- d) Most inexpensive mail services, 24 hours a day and seven days a week
- e) Encourages informal communications
Components of an e-mail Address
As in the case of normal mail system, e-mail is also based upon the concept of a recipient address. The email address provides all of the information required to get a message to the recipient from anywhere in the world. Consider the e-mail ID – firstname.lastname@example.org
In the example above, “jaiganeshbulla” is the local part, which is the name of a mailbox on the destination computer, where finally the mail will be delivered. Yahoo.co.in is the mail server where the mailbox “jaiganeshbulla” exists; co. in is the type of organization on net, which is hosting the mail server.
There are six main categories;
- Com – Commercial institutions or organization
- Edu – Educational institutions
- gov – Government site
- mil – Military site
- net – Gateways and administrative hosts
- org – Private organizations
For citing this article, use:
- Jai Ganesh, B. (2018). A study on internet awareness internet attitude and internet browsing behaviour among b ed trainees in the colleges of education in Namakkal district Tamil Nadu.